Lieutenant Molloy

Interested in joining the 1st Battalion? Want to know more about 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot? Want to discuss some interesting fact or historical reference relating to the Regiment? We welcome any information that will enhance our understanding and knowledge of this world-reknown regiment. Post your questions in here and we will endeavour to answer them.
georgie2012
Whisperer

Lieutenant Molloy

Post by georgie2012 »

Hello - I'm new and just trying out the system. So pleased to be in touch with all of you who share my interest and sorry that I'm not able to be there to take part in a more practical way. Hope to be able to contribute from time to time with information
Last edited by georgie2012 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Re: Lieutenant Molloy

Post by Alan Earp »

Hi Georgie,
Good to hear again from you in Western Australia. Thanks for persevering on the logon registration, your email was just the ticket.

As I said to you, I keep the logon registration non-automatic to reduce the number of spam logons for services etc that are totally unrelated to our hobby. It takes up a lot of unnecessarily wasted time managing unwanted topics or unrelated or inappropriate posts on existing topics.
If people are really interested then they will contact us via email as you did so that I can temporarily allow registration time. It worked for you, thank you and welcome.
It's worth reiterating our process for the benefit of others.

Now to your question.

Lt John Molloy was in 1/95th No. 8 Company under the command of Captain Henry Lee, (don't know if related to the Society's Chairman, Steve Lee?). Lt Molloy was severely wounded at Waterloo and was the recipient of a late issue medal, I guess that means after the first batch in 1816? At Waterloo, his company was stationed with No. 9 & 10 Coys as reserves in the centre of the Allied position behind a hedge with the Brussels Road on their right. Approximately, where the Monument to the Belgiums now stands at the crossroads.

At the point when the 1/95th were forced to retire from the sandpit area, Captain Lee, as senior officer took command of the reserve when Colonel Barnard and Major Cameron were wounded and taken off the field for treatment. They were thus involved in the volleys fired on the French as they pushed up the Brussels Road passed La Haie Sainte. It might be that he received his wound during that interaction?

If you go to the topic on Lt Jonathan Layton you will find a couple of images of actual army records for the Battalion that our Adrian posted. You will notice Lt Molloy's name in the lists.
Click here to go there now.

I also see that he was 2nd Lt (Ensign) with the 2/95th in the Peninsula and received 8 clasps to his Military General Service Medal for Rolica, Vimeiro, Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive and Toulouse. This must mean that he went with Craufurd to Vigo instead of Corunna with 1/95th. Have you got this medal and his Waterloo one?

Well, that's a start. I'm sure others will join in with more detail as they dig it out.
Lt Col Alan Earp
Colonel of the Battalion 1/95

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
georgie2012
Whisperer

Post by georgie2012 »

Thank you so much, Capt. Earp! It must still be early over there...

Thanks again for your speedy reply and the terrific detail you've provided.
Last edited by georgie2012 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

Wonderful, Georgie.
The battle honours for the Pyrenees, Nivelle and Nive were a series of many battles and skirmishes so it is not surprising that he would have referred to them by other names.
Obidos was a an initial encounter that 2/95th had with the French prior to Rolica but not sufficient to warrant a clasp!

It would be great to have a copy of his letters if that's possible, I have researcher friends in 2/95th who will be drooling over your information.

Our 1/95th will be at Salamanca in July for the battle re-enactment to mark its 200th anniversary. We'll give a toast and volley to John on the day.
Lt Col Alan Earp

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
georgie2012
Whisperer

Salamanca

Post by georgie2012 »

I had no idea that you would all be going to Spain for this event. Wonderful.
Is there another Forum I could join for the 2/95th? He was in both Battalions.

Thanks again
Last edited by georgie2012 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTYAL37
Anti-Tattler

Post by NOTYAL37 »

Fascinating stuff! How fortunate you are to have access to Molloy letters and recollections. IF you ever come across any mention of Lt Jonathan Layton I would be enormously grateful for any snippet(s) of information. Jonathan was in Leach's 2nd company (1st Bn) for most of his Peninsular service (1809-1813), and led Beckwith's 10th company at QB (wounded slightly) and Waterloo (most probably).

Cheers,
NOTYAL37
georgie2012
Whisperer

Layton, Molloy and Manners

Post by georgie2012 »

I will certainly let you know if I spot a mention of Layton. Molloy mentions many people briefly but I don't recall him referring to JL.

I had already read about Layton as I was interested in the duel before they left the barracks for the Peninsular - have I got the right person?

I was also surprised to read yesterday that Molloy was involved as a second in so many duels during the war. I knew it was against the rules but it seems they managed to continue defending their personal honour.

One of the duels involved a Harry Manners and Molloy was his second.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

I've spoken to Ben Townsend of 2/95th who is one of their professional researchers and he will be joining this topic soon. He's not sure if he will be able to provide much information but is certainly keen to discuss.
Lt Col Alan Earp

georgie2012
Whisperer

Post by georgie2012 »

Thank you, that would be great.