Rfn James Ashworth, 1/95

Interested in joining the 1st Battalion? Want to know more about 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot? Want to discuss some interesting fact or historical reference relating to the Regiment? We welcome any information that will enhance our understanding and knowledge of this world-reknown regiment. Post your questions in here and we will endeavour to answer them.
John
Whisperer

Rfn James Ashworth, 1/95

Post by John »

Hi,

I am trying to research ancestral information on James Ashworth who was in the 95th at the following battles :- Corunna, Busaco, Fuentes D'Ohor, Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca and Vittoria. I have very little other information and it would be nice to know where he joined up, if he fought at Waterloo and when he left the Regiment. Are there any records available?

Thanks

John.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

Merry Xmas John and thank you for your visit to our site.
Wow, I am green with envy on such an ancestor. Good to see you researching and keeping his name alive.

Rifleman James Ashworth, 1/95 No. 8 Company under Capt G Miller's command at Corunna. Obviously survived the retreat and the battle.

He gained the Military General Service Medal with 7 clasps for Corunna, Busaco, Fuentes D'Onoro, Cuidad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca and Vittoria. He would have received this in 1848 along with other surviving riflemen.

Only 1, 2, 5, 8, 9 and 10 Companies were present from the 1/95 at Waterloo. Companies 3, 4, 6 and 7 remained in England in name only; being recruiting cadres under junior officers. I could not find his name amongst the Waterloo role list. He may have been discharged on return from the Peninsula or recovering from wounds.

There was a Rfn Charles Ashworth in the 2/95 No. 4 Company at Waterloo and survived. Don't know if he was related to James.

That's as much as I can offer from my reference books. Others may provide more or offer sources to check.
Lt Col Alan Earp
Colonel of the Battalion 1/95

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
Ian Kitson
Whisperer

Post by Ian Kitson »

John

The best place for you to start would be the National Archives at Kew, formally the Public Record Office.

Have a look at their website which will give you the basics of how they operate and how to apply for a readers ticket. They also have a number of research guides which if you can read these before travelling especially if you are coming a long way will be invaluable.

If your relative was discharged to pension, either as a result of long service or wounds then there should be a record of him. The records are on micro film and are not easy to read but you can get a print out of them. I have always found the staff at Kew very helpful but like most government staff who do something useful they are overworked and under paid so be patient.

The records are however very basic. Declared age, place of birth, occupation on enlistment, place of enlistment, a basic physical description, whether he could read and write.

If the records have survived they should also give details of the reasons for his discharge and his conduct.

Good Luck
John
Whisperer

Thanks

Post by John »

Hi to you both and thank you for your information and prompt reply. I have had a look at the National Archive website......certainly seems a rich source of data but rather daunting! At least I now know that Jame's Genral Service medal with 7 bars is genuine and you've given me some valuable data to start with. Have also been able to obtain a copy of Mark Usher's book "Rifles" which looks a really good read. Once again thanks and if I find out more I will let you know if you are interested.

John