Lt William Shaw 2/95

Interested in joining the 1st Battalion? Want to know more about 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot? Want to discuss some interesting fact or historical reference relating to the Regiment? We welcome any information that will enhance our understanding and knowledge of this world-reknown regiment. Post your questions in here and we will endeavour to answer them.
Paden
Whisperer

Lt William Shaw 2/95

Post by Paden »

I am in the process of researching my Great - Great - Great Grandfather Lt William Shaw of the 2nd Battalion, 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot and at Waterloo. I have seen his name listed in THE WATERLOO ROLL CALL 2nd EDITION 1904. Recent family history revealed that he came to Western Australia after his service in the British Army. I read your response to Kevin Fowler's inquiry with great interest.

My sons and I are attempting to recreate a scale model of the 2nd Battalion in square of as part of Adam's Brigade as it they were sent forward of the ridge to help sure up the line.

Can you assist us with any further information please?

Regards

Marty Caubo
Perth W.A.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

Hi Marty, yet another person with interesting ancester! All that I've managed to glean from my own set of Napoleonic literature is that 2nd LT William Shaw was indeed at Waterloo serving directly to the 2/95th Majors Norcott and Wilkins. The Lieutenant to whom he would ordinarily report was assigned to the 3/95th at Waterloo. Both Majors were wounded on the 18th June so at some point he would have had to latch onto one of the 6 Companies. Since the majority of officers were wounded throughout the action, and your ancester appears to have survived unscathed, then he would probably have been commanding one of the Companies by the end of the day.

Unlike the Peninsular War, where medals were not issued until 1848, Waterloo medals were granted in 1816 and Lt William Shaw should have received one. You may find more information if you follow up this tack.
Last edited by Alan Earp on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt Col Alan Earp
Colonel of the Battalion 1/95

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
Paden
Whisperer

Lt William Shaw 2/95

Post by Paden »

Thank you very much,

Are you suggesting 2nd LT William Shaw was initially part of the Battalion staff?

What was Major Wilkins roll?

I have read that the 2/95th did not have any colours at Waterloo, is that accurate?

What would have been the possible make up of the centre of a rifle battalion in square formation ?

regards

Marty Caubo
Perth W.A.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

Apologies, I've rechecked my source and Amos Norcott was the Lt Colonel and Wilkens the Major; I noticed an error in the summary list of the 2/95th personel. That should clear up Wilkens role! Both officers were badly wounded whilst the Battalion was in square and had to quit the field. The Battalion from then on was commanded by junior Capt Joseph Logan (No. 2 Coy).

Yes, it appears that Lt Shaw was part of the Battalion staff.

Rfn Morris is quite right in that the 95th had no Colours but I doubt that it was to do with concealment but more to do with their role as skirmishers. Before the 95th existed the skirmishing would have been carried out by a battalion's light infantry company who would not advance with the battalion's Colours for obvious reasons. I guess, because the 95th were effectively considered to be a battalion of light infantry, it would have been impractical for them to have Colours.

Adam's Brigade prior to forming squares was formed in battalion column of companies deployed 4 deep. They would therefore have formed square 4 ranks deep on each side. When the Brigade formed square Adam's positioned himself and his staff in the 71st's square. Therefore the 2/95th would only have had it's own officers in the middle, senior officers on horses.
Lt Col Alan Earp

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
Paden
Whisperer

Lt William Shaw 2/95

Post by Paden »

Thanks for the quick reply and information.

According to some of the reference material I have and your understanding of the Officer casualties, one can assume the 2/95th received quite a bit of attention whilst in formed in square on that ridge.

I have now obtained more information from our family history as researched by Roger Barrington, Middlesex, UK.

LT William Shaw appears in the Army List of 1814 as a 2nd LT in the 95th Regt. He entered this rank on 25th Feb 1813. He is listed in the 1815 Army list in the same rank and Regt. 1818 he is as a 1st LT in the Rifle Brigade and in 1821. He is listed on half pay. He entered the rank of 1st LT on the 26th Jun 1817. He remained on half pay in the 1829 list and then proceeded to Australia in 1830 and is not mentioned after that. LT William Shaw’s Army number was 674.

Marty Caubo
Perth W.A.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

Very interesting and well done. I guess he must have received his Waterloo medal so you chase that down. Since he joined in Feb 1813 he probably went to Spain, more research there methinks!
Lt Col Alan Earp

Paden
Whisperer

Re: Lt William Shaw 2/95

Post by Paden »

Lt William Shaw 2/95

I have another question for you. When the 2/95th where in Square at Waterloo. Would have they had drummers and if so would they been their own or attached from other units.

Marty Caubo
Perth W.A.
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Post by Alan Earp »

95th did not have drummers. Used bugler or whistles.
Lt Col Alan Earp

Paden
Whisperer

Post by Paden »

Thanks. I must admit I was confused by a reference book by Caldwell & Cooper (Rifles at Waterloo). In this they refer to "Bandsmen" and there are illustrations that seem to represent these "Bandsmen" as Riflemen.

Marty