missing co.s of bns of 95th at Waterloo/Bn organization

Interested in joining the 1st Battalion? Want to know more about 95th (Rifle) Regiment of Foot? Want to discuss some interesting fact or historical reference relating to the Regiment? We welcome any information that will enhance our understanding and knowledge of this world-reknown regiment. Post your questions in here and we will endeavour to answer them.
JeffFig
Whisperer

missing co.s of bns of 95th at Waterloo/Bn organization

Post by JeffFig »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I was wondering if anyone knows where the missing companies of the 1/95 and 2/95 Rifles were during Waterloo? The order of battle lists both as having 6 companies present where were the other 4 for each? I've found the distribution of the 3/95 Rifles during June 1815 but not the others.

I had purchased the Osprey book on British Rifleman in the Napoleonic Wars hoping that it would include a section on the battalion organization but it didn't. Does anyone know the composition of the battalion staff and within each company, the number of officers, NCOs, CPLs, Buglers and riflemen - and anyone else I may have left out?

I presume that the battalions of the 95th did not carry colors into battle but they must have had them. Were these left in England, perhaps Shorncliffe?

thanks,

Jeff
Alan Earp
Colonel 1/95th

Re: missing co.s of bns of 95th at Waterloo/Bn organization

Post by Alan Earp »

As a starter:
1/95th - Companies 3, 4, 6 and 7 were skeleton companies in England being recruiting cadres commanded by junior officers.
Battalion staff consisted of Lt.Col. Barnard, Major Cameron, Capt. Smith H, Lt Kincaid, Paymaster MacKenzie, Qtrmstr Bagshaw, Surgeon Burke, Asst Surgeons Robson & Hett.
Companies consisted of:
Capt
3 x Lt,
No 2 Coy had Paymr Sgt and Armr Sgt,
Some had a Sgt Major,
3 to 6 Sgt,
1 x C/Sgt,
5 to 7 Cpl,
1 or 2 Buglers
Up to 85 riflemen depending on NCO numbers.

2/95th - Companies 1 to 6 at Waterloo.
Battalion Staff = Lt Col. Norcott, Major Wilkins, Lts Smith T, Shaw & Hope (but he served with 3/95th), Paymaster McDonald, Qtrmstr Ross, Surgeon Scott and Asst Surgeons Armstrong, Scott & Poe.

3/95th - 5 companies in America, only 2 companies at Waterloo.
Battalion Staff = Major Ross, Capt Eeles C, & Gray, Lts Hope, Mcfarlane, Shenley, Vickers, Worsley, Milligan & Probart, Asst Surgeon McCabe.

No colours - full stop.
Lt Col Alan Earp
Colonel of the Battalion 1/95

"True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders"
JeffFig
Whisperer

Re: missing co.s of bns of 95th at Waterloo/Bn organization

Post by JeffFig »

Thank you, I was browsing through Wellington's Military Machine and on p.43 it had the organization of a typical 95th Rifle company. It showed that the company had a formal two platoon organization each platoon with a LT, Bugler and two squads each under a SGT.

I take it the missing four companies of the 2/95th were also receiving recruits (as were 3 companies of 3/95th).

thanks again,

Jeff